March 03, 2008

Goings On

Even though I haven't posted for awhile, things have been busy! With yearbook deadlines quickly approaching and the weather pretty awful, my studio gear got quite the workout with local dance, cheer, flag and drill teams wanting something a little special for their portraits. The Junior Miss pageant is also preparing for their big night which is coming up on April 17th and I do all the girls' portraits for the pageant's publicity every year. After one of my team shoots, I headed to my church where our youth group had a Valentine's Day dinner as a fund raising event which I volunteered to help them with. I took portraits of couples and some families after they finished a wonderful dinner. I have to admit that even though I'm a natural light fanatic and love shooting outdoors, I had a lot of fun with my studio lights this winter.

Another thing going on is that we're gearing up for the Idaho International Dance and Music Festival which will take place in Burley and Rupert July 22-26. Possible teams as of now include Belgium, China, France, Greece, Japan, Macedonia, Mexico, Sri Lanka, India, Dominican Republic, Israel, Russia: Cossack and Siberian, USA. I LOVE festival time and making new friends from all corners of this planet. For some visitors, this will be their first time in America and this community goes the extra mile to make them feel welcome. They stay in our homes while they are here which really gives our guests and their hosts a chance to learn about each other. If you'd like to see some of the highlights from last year's festival, here's the link to a slideshow I put together of some of my favorite shots - FESTIVAL SHOW. The teams were from Croatia, Czech Republic, Poland, Peru, Philippines, and Japan.

If you live in in the Mini-Cassia area and would like to be a host family, e-mail me your contact information and someone from the housing committee will contact you. This will be our 5th year and it gets bigger every year! As people come and experience it and feel the energy and excitement in the air, they tell others about it and come back.